Chocolate isn’t just a sweet treat! It can also be good for your health!
(CNN) — If you don’t know what to get your significant other for Valentine’s day, try chocolate. It’s not only a romantic gift, but also has health benefits.
Registered Dietitian, Tamara Melton said, “Chocolate’s more than just a matter of the heart for what we give to people that we love. Chocolate has nutrients in it that can help us to protect our heart. They’re called flavonols, and they help to increase the blood flow to your heart.”
One study said as little as a quarter of an ounce of dark chocolate a day may keep the heart doctor away.
The German Institute of Human Nutrition said it could lower the risk of experiencing a heart attack or stroke.
Another study said chocolate can help improve a person’s mood.
It’s also a good antioxidant and helps with inflammation.
However, not all chocolate is created equal.
Clinical Outpatient Dietitian with Northside Hospital, Elyse Sartorsaid said, “Dark chocolate can be a source of vitamins and minerals but it is also going to be a source of added sugar.”
But remember, moderation is key.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 8038)
- 'The Training Table' announces return with food trucks, sauces and future restaurants (pageviews: 5792)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5320)
- Lori Vallow Daybell trial suspended due to new concerns about her competency - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4493)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman (pageviews: 4104)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3511)