Police chase ends with officer shooting, killing man in Magna
MAGNA — A police chase and reported hostage situation ended with a Unified Police officer shooting and killing a man in Magna early Tuesday morning, according to the Salt Lake County sheriff.
The incident started with a call to emergency dispatch from a man who said he was holding a woman hostage in his truck, Sheriff Rosie Rivera said.
The man told police if they “didn’t leave the area that he was going to stab her with a knife,” Rivera said.
The call originated from the Millcreek area and dispatchers used cell phone towers to narrow down the truck’s location. Officers with the West Valley Police Department located the truck in their jurisdiction and chased it to Magna.
The truck came to a stop on 8400 West near the intersection with 2700 South. Rivera said that’s when the Unified Police officer fired his weapon.
“The male suspect is deceased,” Rivera said. “The female victim has been take to the hospital with minor injuries she sustaine
d from the suspect.”
No officers were injured, Rivera said, adding that more information about the shooting will come from the Salt Lake City Police Department, which is conducting an independent investigation.
Video from the scene showed the black GMC pickup truck with broken windows and popped tires. The truck was also surrounded by police cars.
The incident forced the closure of 8400 West from S.R. 201 to 3100 South for much of the morning.
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 8681)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 7040)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6841)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 4986)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3519)
- Utah woman accused of killing daughter was making plans to flee country, prosecutors say (pageviews: 2803)