Safe in 60: Are Locating Apps Right For Your Family?
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — If you have a child, you’ve likely wondered about locater apps, and whether you should use one to track their whereabouts. Are the apps an invasion of your child’s privacy, or a great way to ensure their safety and your peace of mind?
As a parent, you need to decide if a locating app is right for you and your family. But I would like to share some things I have learned in my experience.
First, and most important, talk to your child. If you decide to use one, explain why you think it is important. A locating app should be for safety. I have found that with my kids, overusing it does cause trust issue, so have an agreement that you won’t overuse the app and in turn, your children won’t turn their location services off. This worked well for me and my girls.
There are numerous tracking apps out there. Many are free, and some have lots of bells and whistles such as letting you know how fast your child is driving.
Since all the apps work a bit differently, you’ll need to find one that suits you. My family uses Life 360. My parents, who live out of state, are also in our group, allowing us all to stay connected.
Locating apps aren’t always full proof, especially in an emergency, so have a safety plan. It’s a good idea to have a code your child can text if they are in an uncomfortable situation and want you to come pick them up. But if they are in danger – teach them to call 911 first.
As a parent, a location app can be a useful safety tool, but the most important tool in your parenting toolbox is good communication, which helps build trust.
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 8681)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 7040)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6841)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 4986)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3519)
- Utah woman accused of killing daughter was making plans to flee country, prosecutors say (pageviews: 2803)