Smaller Dinosaur That Evolved Into The T-Rex Found In Utah
PROVO, Utah – The first-ever tiny Tyrannosaurs discovered is making big news in the paleontology world today and it’s big news in Utah, because this where it was discovered, near Cedar Mountain in Central Utah’s Emery County.
It’s exciting news for local paleontologists like Brooks Britt, a professor of geology at Brigham Young University.
“It is like Christmas every day you walk in the lab and the students are extracting some new bones out of the rock no human has ever seen before,” he said.
So naturally, Britt is thrilled to see this research published today, by Lindsay Zanno, a paleontologist from North Carolina State University, who uncovered a new dinosaur, called Moros Intrepidus, from a femur bone found in Emery County in 2013.
The researchers’ discovery of what they say was a 7-year-old dinosaur, about the size of a deer, makes it the oldest Cretaceous era Tyrannosaurs ever discovered in North America.
The find from 97 million years ago, helps to bridge what had been a 70 million year gap for researchers.
“Filling that gap in here, getting closer and closer to the big tyrant time when you had Tyrannosaurus itself,” he said.
At BYU, Britt says researchers are also making new finds, with a home court advantage in Utah, a hot spot for finding and learning more about dinosaurs.
“There is a lot more to find out there, and they are finding new things all the time, and this shows that patience pays off, that is what it is.”
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 8681)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 7040)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6841)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 4986)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3519)
- Utah woman accused of killing daughter was making plans to flee country, prosecutors say (pageviews: 2803)