Jazz Scholarship Presents ‘Life-Changing’ Opportunity For Utah Student
DRAPER, Utah – The Utah Jazz are awarding dozens of scholarships to students and one recipient said the gift presents a “life-changing” opportunity.
When he isn’t on the basketball court, you can find Makuei Lueth watching the sport, or working at the Utah Jazz’s merchandise store.
“What brought me to Utah was basketball,” Lueth said.
He came here to play for the Juan Diego High School basketball team, then also joined the cross country team. Between practice and school, the Sudan native worked at the Utah Jazz merchandise store and cleaned for his school.
The teen had been preparing ways to cover his finances for college when he got a call from Jazz guard Jordan Clarkson three weeks ago.
“You’ve been selected for the Utah Jazz scholarship,” Clarkson said breaking the news to Lueth over a video call.
Meet Makuei! He’s one of the @utahjazz scholarship recipients.
— Morgan Wolfe (@MorganWolfeKSL) May 20, 2021
Lueth responded, “Are you kidding me, bro?!”
He said he still has a hard time comprehending it, but he couldn’t be more thankful to the Utah Jazz and owner Ryan Smith.
More than 55 scholarships will be awarded to students committed to going to universities in Utah. Selected students come from underrepresented communities.
Lueth understands what it feels like to feel underrepresented.
His life in America is largely influenced by the Lost Boys of Sudan. His brother that he lives with in Draper is one of the original 20,000 Sudan boys that sought refuge in America during the country’s civil war.
“I have a bunch of opportunities that I get here,” Lueth said with a smile.
Those opportunities come with sacrifice, mainly one; his family. The teen’s parents and siblings still live in Africa, and he doesn’t get to see them often.
“I miss my family. I miss my mom,” he said. “It’s hard.”
Lueth is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and credited God for his blessings. He said he will continue to seize all the opportunities of growth that come his way.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 31605)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 31003)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 11852)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 5865)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 4780)
- Anne Heche is 'not expected to survive,' family says in statement (pageviews: 4432)
- Police searching for man missing from Millcreek area – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3951)
- Friday storm floods streets, homes around Utah (pageviews: 3079)
- Man arrested in hit-and-run that killed 11-year-old boy (pageviews: 2681)