Gephardt: Hundreds Of Thousands Of Utahns Driving Cars With Open Safety Recalls
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Right now, hundreds of thousands of Utahns are driving a car with an open safety recall, and that is a concern with the summer travel season just around the corner.
The deadly Takata airbag recall made news for years but recalls involving other dangerously defective parts happen all the time said Emilie Voss of Carfax.
“There are a lot of other recalls out there, millions of other vehicles on the road for with completely different recalls,” said Voss.
Last week, Ford recalled over 661,000 Explorers because of roof rail covers flying off during travel. Last month, Toyota recalled 279,000 Venzas for faulty wiring that stops airbags from deploying. Kia told nearly 380,000 owners, do not park your Kia in the garage because it can catch fire!
“These are safety issues,” said Voss. “So, they are things that need your attention.”
Carfax shared its latest recall data with the KSL Investigators.
Right now, 20.3% of recalled cars in Utah still needed to be repaired. In the Salt Lake area alone, there are more than 588,000 cars with unfixed recalls. Nationally, that number is 53.2 million – a 5% drop compared to this time last year. Carfax’s data shows pickup trucks and minivans are the most likely cars to have unfixed safety recalls.
Before hitting the road this summer, Voss urged Utahns to check their car for an open safety recall.
Don’t wait for the automaker’s recall notice to show up in the mail: they can get lost as cars get sold, people move, or they’re mistakenly tossed out as junk mail.
“We put our loved ones, our family, our children in our vehicles. And so you want to make sure that there isn’t something safety-wise that you’re overlooking that could easily be repaired for free,” said Voss.
Through their dealerships, automakers pay for repairs on all recalled cars up to 15 years old, even if you bought your car used.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 8038)
- 'The Training Table' announces return with food trucks, sauces and future restaurants (pageviews: 5792)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5320)
- Lori Vallow Daybell trial suspended due to new concerns about her competency - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4493)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman (pageviews: 4104)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3511)