Crews Respond To New Wildfire On Border Of Juab, Tooele County
EUREKA, Utah — A new wildfire has broken out on the Simpson Mountain Range in remote Juab and Tooele counties.
Fire officials said the Goat Springs Fire has scorched 444 acres west of Eureka and destroyed at least two structures.
The blaze was originally estimated at 40 acres around 2 p.m. Friday, but increased due to gusty winds in the area.
As of Tuesday morning, the fire was 95% contained, according to fire officials.
#GoatSpringsFire is 95% contained. The local unit resumed command of the fire today. Mop up & rehab work will continue through the week. Smoke may still be visible within the surrounding area of the fire. This will be the last update unless significant changes occur.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 1, 2021
“The steep, rugged terrains pushing with the winds, have not helped,” said Kayli Yardley with the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands.
Several local and federal resources, including heavy air tankers and SEATs, were called out to help stop the flames, according to a tweet from the Utah Fire Info.
Officials said it was human-caused but remains under investigation.
Fire activity has increased due gusty winds and steep and rugged terrain. #GoatSpringsFire is now estimated between 300-400 acres. Heavy air tankers and SEATs along with several local and federal resources are currently working the fire. #kmyffsl
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) May 28, 2021
The blaze prompted a new round of warnings from firefighters for the holiday weekend.
“We want to make sure everybody stays safe, including the public,” said Yardley.
For those headed to outdoor hotspots, crews said to be extremely careful.
“87% of wildfires take place because they’re human-caused,” said Yardley.
Fire burning out on the border of Juab and Tooele counties tonight is prompting renewed warnings for people heading to the outdoors this holiday weekend..https://t.co/DDTDOWgJHP
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) May 29, 2021
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 20813)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 8887)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8299)
- Anne Heche is 'not expected to survive,' family says in statement (pageviews: 6196)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine (pageviews: 4007)
- Search continues for Utah man shot at during police confrontation, abduction (pageviews: 2967)
- AMBER Alert canceled for 5-year-old boy abducted from American Fork (pageviews: 2685)
- 11-year-old killed, driver at large in West Valley City hit and run (pageviews: 2612)
- AMBER Alert issued for 5-year-old boy abducted from American Fork (pageviews: 2514)