Salt Lake Co. Opens Cooling Centers For Seniors Who Need Heat Relief
SALT LAKE CITY – As hot and windy conditions were expected through the early part of this week, cooling centers opened in neighborhoods where people are escaping the heat.
Since seniors and older adults can be susceptible to heat-related illness, which is why Salt Lake County Aging & Adult Services opened several “cool zones” that are free of charge to visitors.
Paulette Gasparac worked up a sweat exercising indoors at Rivers Bend Senior Center. It was a welcome relief from the heat.
“How have I been dealing with it? Well, my swamp cooler and fans,” she said.
“We’ve seen an uptick in people coming to all of the cool zones — the libraries, recreation centers and senior centers since last week when it started to get really hot,” said Afton January, communications manager for Salt Lake County Aging & Adult Services.
— Salt Lake County (@SLCoGov) June 7, 2021
Doris Spencer has been a regular at Rivers Bend.
“I’ve been coming here for years,” she said.
On hot days like Monday, Spencer didn’t want to be stuck at home.
“There’s always something you can come here and do,” she said.
From arts and crafts to just chatting with friends, visitors kept their minds off the uncomfortable soaring temperatures — and safe from heat-related illness.
“It’s wonderful. I love coming here. It’s stimulating, intellectually, physically, socially,” said Gasparac.
January said everyone needs to do their part.
“This is an excellent time to call and check on your elderly relative’s neighbors and friends to make sure that they’re doing OK,” she said.
Salt Lake County Aging and Adult Services also have fans they may be able to provide for people who are homebound.
The cool zones are scattered throughout Salt Lake County. Click here for exact locations.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6416)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 5928)
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 5464)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5292)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3331)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3089)