Hidden kitchen fire hazard: Microwaves that start by themselves

Jul 11, 2022, 11:00 PM | Updated: Jul 26, 2022, 3:59 pm

OREM, Utah – There’s a potential hazard lurking in your kitchen: microwaves that start all by themselves.

When it happened to an Orem woman, the KSL Investigators found hers was not an isolated case. We have found dozens of microwaves firing up without the push of a button, and that is dangerous.

Kris Hammond said she’d only had her microwave nine months when it just fired up on its own. Nobody was in the room. The microwave was empty.

“It filled the house with smoke,” Hammond recounted, “ and started the smoke alarm.”

Someone in the house reacted quickly, grabbing the smoldering appliance, and ran with it out of the kitchen and into the backyard.

“I see this as a consumer risk to have a microwave just start on its own,” Hammond said. “It could have burned down my home, cause thousands of dollars in damage, and someone could have been hurt.”

Hammond contacted the maker of the microwave, Samsung. She said the company dispatched a technician who replaced its magnetron and a transformer.

“The technician called the company and said the smell was horrific and making him sick,” Hammond said.

But Hammond wants her money back. Beyond smelling bad, she worries it could happen again. She said Samsung is refusing the refund.

“I feel like they should stand behind their product,” she said.

With that, Hammond decided it was time to call the KSL Investigators.

We reached out to Samsung to ask about her situation. They would not go into details except to say, in an email, “We have been in contact with the Hammond family and are addressing their concerns to their satisfaction.”

Hammond confirmed that after our calls, indeed, Samsung reached out to her.

Digging deeper, the KSL Investigator found this is not a problem unique to Samsung – or is uncommon.

The KSL Investigators poured through hundreds of reports filed by consumers to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and found dozens of incidents where a microwave started by itself and subsequently caught fire.

We combed through five years of complaints from microwave oven users filed with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). There is example after example of microwaves spontaneously starting.

In fact, of the total 318 complaints received by the CPSC, 89 came from U.S. consumers who said their machine started on its own. That is in addition to 88 reports of microwave fires, 29 of which happened thanks to a self-start.

And those numbers are just folks who bothered to report their issue; the actual numbers are likely higher.

We asked Colleen Jerman, operations manager of the Mending Shop in Orem if they ever heard of a microwave starting by itself.

“Yes, I have,” she answered. “It’s fairly common.”

Operations manager Colleen Jerman of The Mending Shed explains to KSL’s Matt Gephardt how slamming a microwave oven door can lead to a self-start.

So, the burning question, what causes a microwave to self-start and ignite on fire?

“My number one tip for microwaves: Do not slam the door,” Jerman said.

She explained there is an interlock on a microwave door that typically contains three switches. Slamming the door may damage those switches, causing them to get stuck. That in turn can stop the machine from working when you want it to, and it can make the machine start working when you do not want it to.

“So, if one of the switches is bad inside and it has essentially almost grounded itself, so it is sending power constantly, it’ll turn on the microwave all on its own,” Jerman explained.

As for Kris Hammond, she has bought a new machine. She just does not trust the repaired microwave. And she hopes her story serves as a warning to others.

“Why is there no shut-off mechanism on a microwave to prevent it from continuing to run and potentially go on fire?” she wondered.

Aside from handling your microwave with care, there are other things you can do to prevent it from starting on its own and then igniting – though they are cumbersome. You could unplug it between uses or keep a cup of water inside so that the microwave has something to cook, besides itself, if it does self-start.

KSL 5 TV Live

Mike Headrick

Hopes that were lost as part of a land collapse. (KSL TV/Chopper 5)...

Mike Headrick and Cindy St. Clair

Draper City: Building laws make it hard to say ‘no’ to risky development

The question was posed to KSL Investigators — how could Draper City allow development on hazardous land? It turns out, saying “no” is a difficult option.

1 month ago

Seth Warren's Polaris RZR sat for months waiting on the recall repair. (Tanner Siegworth/KSL TV)...

Mike Headrick and Cindy St. Clair

Recreational Risk: Polaris RZR owners waiting months for recall fixes

Utahns reached out to KSL Investigators, frustrated they were paying for recalled recreational vehicles they could not use, as they waited months for a fix. KSL Investigator Mike Headrick looks at what’s holding up these safety repairs.

1 month ago

Chris and Connie Brosky show Mike Headrick around their Bluffdale home. (Josh Szymanik/KSL TV)...

Mike Headrick and Cindy St. Clair

Cracking, sinking, falling apart: KSL Investigates structural issues in multiple new homes

While Utah continues to chip away at the housing shortage, some new homeowners are dealing with cracking walls and sinking foundations. KSL Investigators dug for answers on why it keeps happening.

2 months ago

Cars with tickets on windows...

Mike Headrick & Cindy St. Clair

Citations or warnings? KSL Investigators find a mixed bag of winter parking enforcement

The KSL Investigators dug into the data to see which cities are writing the tickets, and which are not.

3 months ago


Mike Headrick and Cindy St. Clair, KSL TV

Shattered glass. Holes in walls. South Jordan man sues city for wrecking his home

How important is a single signature on a legal document? A South Jordan homeowner claims the wrong signature ended with firefighters causing significant damage to his house.

6 months ago


Mike Headrick and Cindy St. Clair, KSL TV

Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil

If you want to know what a sinking home sounds like, just ask Eric and Carole Kamradt.

6 months ago

Sponsored Articles

Stack of old laptops with dark background...

PC Laptops

Old Laptop Upgrades You Need to Try Before Throwing it Away

Get the most out of your investment. Try these old laptop upgrades before throwing it out to keep it running fast and efficient.

Happy diverse college or university students are having fun on their graduation day...

BYU MBA at the Marriott School of Business

How to Choose What MBA Program is Right for You: Take this Quiz Before You Apply!

Wondering what MBA program is right for you? Take this quiz before you apply to see if it will help you meet your goals.

Close up of an offset printing machine during production...

Les Olson IT

Top 7 Reasons to Add a Production Printer to Your Business

Learn about the different digital production printers and how they can help your company save time and money.

vintage photo of lighting showroom featuring chandeliers, lamps, wall lights and mirrors...

Lighting Design

History of Lighting Design | Over 25 Years of Providing Utah With the Latest Trends and Styles

Read about the history of Lighting Design, a family-owned and operated business that paved the way for the lighting industry in Utah.

Fiber Optical cables connected to an optic ports and Network cables connected to ethernet ports...

Brian Huston, CE and Anthony Perkins, BICSI

Why Every Business Needs a Structured Cabling System

A structured cabling system benefits businesses by giving you faster processing speeds and making your network more efficient and reliable.

notebook with password notes highlighted...

PC Laptops

How to Create Strong Passwords You Can Actually Remember

Learn how you can create strong passwords that are actually easy to remember! In a short time you can create new ones in seconds.

Hidden kitchen fire hazard: Microwaves that start by themselves