Utah driver pulled over twice for speeding over 100 mph in 10 minutes, UHP says
JUAB COUNTY, Utah — The Utah Highway Patrol says one driver was pulled over not once, but twice for speeding over 100 mph in a 10-minute span.
The first incident happened around 6:43 p.m. Tuesday after a state trooper stopped the Honda Pilot for hitting speeds of 111 mph on Interstate 15 near milepost 213.
The trooper cited the driver for reckless driving over 105 mph — now a class B misdemeanor under Utah law that went into effect on May 4.
Just 10 minutes later, a second trooper stopped the same vehicle for hitting 105 mph near milepost 217.
Once again, the driver was cited for reckless driving over 105 mph.
UHP officials reminded drivers that an automatic review of their driver’s license is triggered by two or more citations for reckless driving and/or impaired driving in a 12-month period, and they could have their license suspended. Younger drivers could have their license suspended after one citation.
“Slow down, nothing is worth risking your life or putting others in danger so you can get somewhere just a few minutes faster,” troopers said.
Also under the new law, fines went up by an extra 50%. These are the new, minimum fines for driving 100 mph in areas with the following speed limits:
- In a 65-mph zone: $760
- In a 70-mph zone: $570
- In an 80-mph zone: $315
ROAD TO ZERO: KSL TV is committed to being part of the solution. Our “Road to Zero Fatalities: You Hold the Key Campaign” encourages everyone to follow the ABCs of safer driving: Drive attentively. Drive buckled. Drive calm.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 23873)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7973)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6222)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5352)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3238)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3101)