Help available for power customers that need assistance paying high bills
SALT LAKE CITY — Rocky Mountain Power customers are now getting August power bills and they are high. After a record hot summer, customers are now seeing the aftermath of that long string of triple-digit days.
RMP officials say summer bills are generally about 30% higher than other months. But there was nothing typical about this summer, which meant customers used a lot more power.
“When you have consecutive days of those century temperatures and it doesn’t go below 70 at night, you’re typically going to see higher bills,” said Tiffany Erickson, spokesperson for Rocky Mountain Power.
While RMP has payment plans, there are other places that can help cover the costs. Utah Community Action is a federally-funded organization that has funds dedicated to helping those struggling to pay utility bills. It’s called the HEAT program, which is the Home Energy Assistance Target. It allows people in need a one-time payment to help cover utility bills. There are eligibility guidelines that are based on 150% of poverty. For a family of seven, that be just over $5,000 a month.
Jamie Castleton is the program director. She told KSL TV Monday there is plenty of money available for those that apply and qualify.
“Last year, we helped over 33,000 clients,” she said, adding that they expect to help more this year based on inflation, cost of living and unemployment.
Rocky Mountain Power also has payment plans available.
For more information on the HEAT program, click here.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 13411)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 8537)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 5711)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3015)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2446)
- Police: Man breaks windows of 7 businesses, assaults 3 officers in burglary spree on Antelope Drive (pageviews: 2384)