Vernal Middle School student in custody after bringing gun to school
VERNAL, Utah — A student at Vernal Middle School has been taken into police custody after the individual brought a gun to school.
Officials said a report of a student in possession of a gun came in Thursday morning before the start of the school day.
“The school followed established safety protocols for weapons on school property to ensure the safety of all students and staff,” read a Thursday morning press release from the Uintah School District.
The student was immediately apprehended by the school resource officer, according to district officials, and the gun was recovered.
Vernal Police said in a statement, “A firearm and ammunition were recovered, and the student has been booked into the Youth Detention Center.”
According to the release, it was determined that the student was the lone threat and “the situation is stable.”
Police added that the student had a plan and a specific target.
Officials said there is no active threat to Vernal Middle School and no danger to students or staff.
“No additional information about this incident will be released at this point as this is an active investigation,” the release concluded.
“This incident enforces “See Something, Say Something”’, the statement added.
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 8681)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 7040)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6841)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 4986)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3519)
- Utah woman accused of killing daughter was making plans to flee country, prosecutors say (pageviews: 2803)