Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A 24-year-old woman was killed and her boyfriend has been arrested following a shooting at a Salt Lake City apartment complex Sunday evening.
Salt Lake City Police Department spokesperson Brent Weisberg said this shooting happened at approximately 8:25 p.m. inside a unit at the Downtown West Liberty Apartments complex, and officers arrived at a “chaotic scene.”
According to a probable cause statement, officers found the victim, identified as Lyberdee Cisneros, with at least three gunshot wounds.
Officers began life-saving attempts before Cisneros was taken by ambulance to the Intermountain Medical Center, where she later died.
A man, identified as 20-year-old Jayden Wade Fernelius, was located inside the apartment with a 9mm handgun in his pocket. Police said Cisneros and Fernelius had been in a domestic relationship for two years.
Officers said Ferelius’ clothing had “significant amounts of what appears to be blood,” and that he had what appeared to be blood on his hands.
Police took Fernelius into custody, and he was later booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on one first-degree felony count of murder.
In the probable cause statement, police said Fernelius “changed his story multiple times,” saying he heard the gunshot and ran into the apartment to find the victim dead before saying he tried to take the gun from the victim before it shot into the ground and she then shot herself.
Police said Cisneros was shot multiple times “in a manner not consistent with self-inflicted gun shot wounds.”
Anyone with information on the shooting was asked to call 801-799-3000 and reference case No. 22-189275.
Domestic violence resources
If you or someone you know is going through abuse, help is available.
- The Utah Domestic Violence Coalition operates a confidential statewide, 24-hour domestic abuse hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465).
- Resources are also available online at the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition website.
There are several ways the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition can help people. Previous examples include providing financial assistance for funerals, moving, and counseling that helps people find a different path or stay healthy and safe and the relationship they’re in.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 15042)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 5829)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 4718)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 4461)
- Utah's Festival of Trees returns to an in-person event (pageviews: 3428)