As the drought in Utah intensifies, a hydrologist with the Natural Resources Conservation Service reminded residents that the state's water supply will not rise again until next spring. In a year with average runoff, we would still be adding to our reservoirs, but this year, the runoff is drying up quickly.
Gov. Spencer Cox issued a new executive order on drought conditions in Utah, which includes limiting watering at state facilities and encouraging all residents to practice water conservation. He also called for a ban on fireworks for all state and unincorporated lands.
Governor Spencer Cox called upon all Utahns to pray for rain, while water officials asked residents to turn off the sprinklers in order to combat the effects of the drought.
A lush, healthy-looking lawn may not be a viable option this year, at least in areas covered by Pineview Water Systems. General manager, Ben Quick said the situation is dire.
Missy Franklin Johnson is a five-time gold medalist in swimming who now works to keep children and adults safe around water.
It's only May, but water levels at many of Utah's reservoirs are already below what we'd normally see in the Fall and there's little runoff remaining to melt away.
2020 was a record year for the number of wildfires in Utah started by humans, and drought conditions in 2021 could mean it’s more important than ever to make a plan to protect your home from the fire threat.
Even though recent storms covered Utah’s mountains with snow, the state is still in a drought and conservationists have already warned about reduced water use in the spring and summer.
Facing a booming population and not enough irrigation water to keep up with demand, officials in Saratoga Springs decided in 2014 it was time to install meters and charge homeowners for each gallon they used on their landscapes.
A log jam has built up in part of the Payette River, prompting emergency responders and the Boise National Forest to warn river users to avoid the area.
KSL 5 TV Live
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 20810)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 11581)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6392)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 5630)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4383)
- Family members remember, honor two USU plane crash victims (pageviews: 3605)
- Yellowstone bison gores Colorado man, causes arm injury (pageviews: 3552)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3036)
- Family members remember Utah woman killed in Idaho crash (pageviews: 2929)
Connect with KSL