Rough Canyon fire moves toward homes in Portage, firefighters push back
PORTAGE, Utah – The Rough Canyon fire, just west of Portage, grew to over 3,100 acres Thursday, and remains about five percent contained. While the fire remained a good distance from town, it came close to two homes to the west.
“I wasn’t really worried about it until it was on the other side of the hill,” homeowner Sheila Huggins said. “It’s about a tenth of a mile right now, and I could pop over (Thursday morning) and see flames over 30, 40, 50 feet high.”
Thursday afternoon, a helicopter and large plane dropped water and retardant several times on the hill just above the Huggins home. By early evening, crews had gotten the flames down in that area, but continued to battle winds and hot, dry conditions elsewhere.
“Makes it pretty difficult for these guys to get a handle on it,” Box Elder County Fire Warden Spencer Newman said. “We’re in red flag conditions right now, and we’ve had a very strong southwest wind that’s pushing the fire toward this canyon where we’re trying to hold it.”
Huggins says she’s grateful for the firefighters who stood by to defend her home.
“Couldn’t be more happy with them,” she said. “They’re keeping us informed here, and they’re with us. They’re doing a great job.”
More than 140 firefighters, including four planes and two helicopters battled the fire. No structures had burned as of Thursday night. Even though no evacuations had been ordered, Huggins says she and her husband are ready to go if they need to.
“We’re just waiting,” Huggins said. “If we have to evacuate, I’ve got my birds and my dogs packed up, and we’re just getting the trailer ready to go.”
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 8038)
- 'The Training Table' announces return with food trucks, sauces and future restaurants (pageviews: 5792)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5320)
- Lori Vallow Daybell trial suspended due to new concerns about her competency - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4493)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman (pageviews: 4104)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3511)