Utah Reports 252 New COVID-19 Cases, Three Additional Deaths
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Health on Tuesday said three more Utahns have died due to COVID-19 and another 252 residents have tested positive for the virus.
Currently, 139 people are hospitalized with the virus and an additional 7,101 vaccines have been administered, bringing the state’s total to 2,657,168.
UDOH also said over 1.25 million Utahns are now fully vaccinated and over 1.51 million have received at least one dose of a vaccine.
For more information, visit coronavirus.utah.gov.
UDOH reports 2,718,881 people have been tested — 2,997 more than Monday. Of those, 408,068 Utahns have tested positive for COVID-19 — an increase of 252 new cases.
The rolling seven-day average for positive tests was 256 — jumping up from 236 on Monday.
The rolling seven-day average for percent positivity of “people over people” jumped to 6.6% while the rolling seven-day average for percent positivity of “tests over tests” rose to 4.2%.
The state has administered 2,657,168 vaccine doses in total, which is an increase of 7,101 over Monday’s numbers. As of Tuesday, over 1.51 million Utahns had received at least one dose of a vaccine and over 1.25 million Utahns had been fully vaccinated.
Over 3.16 million vaccines have been delivered to Utah.
Currently, 139 people are hospitalized with confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 54 of those people were in intensive care units.
Utah’s ICUs were 66.2% full and the ICU beds in Utah’s referral centers were 70% full Tuesday.
“At about 69% overall ICU utilization, ICUs in Utah’s major hospitals with the ability to provide best care for COVID-19 patients begin to reach staffing capacity,” UDOH officials said. “Seventy-two percent use among all hospitals and 77% in referral center hospitals creates major strains on the health care system. When 85% capacity is reached, Utah will be functionally out of staffed ICU beds, indicating an overwhelmed hospital system.”
Three additional deaths were reported Tuesday. To date, the virus has killed 2,316 of the state’s residents.
The following deaths were reported Tuesday:
- Male, between 65-84, Uintah county resident, not hospitalized
- Female, between 65-84, Uintah county resident, hospitalized at time of death
- Female, between 65-84, Utah county resident, hospitalized at time of death
Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing email@example.com.
The latest COVID-19 stories from KSL can be found here.
How do I prevent it?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
The CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies.)
- Wyoming Coroner in Gabby Petito case determining cause of death (pageviews: 41226)
- Search Warrant sheds light on Gabby Petito investigation (pageviews: 24739)
- FBI execute search warrant at Laundrie residence relevant to Gabby Petito investigation (pageviews: 10333)
- Florida search for Gabby Petito's boyfriend suspended (pageviews: 9629)
- Human remains discovered 'consistent' with description of Gabby Petito (pageviews: 9583)
- Frustrated by city inaction, residents contact KSL Investigators over Salt Lake’s RV Row (pageviews: 7555)
- Gabby Petito’s case highlights racial disparities in response to missing persons cases (pageviews: 6173)
- Police: Search for Laundrie concludes for the second day in wildlife reserve (pageviews: 4628)
- Human remains discovered ‘consistent’ with description of Gabby Petito – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4239)