UHP trooper stops wrong-way DUI driver on I-15
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah Highway Patrol trooper jumped into action early Sunday morning to stop a wrong-way driver on Interstate 15.
Officials with the Utah Department of Public Safety said around 4:15 a.m., a red SUV got on I-15 at 600 South, traveling southbound in the northbound lanes.
“Troopers responded to the area to stop the dangerous vehicle before it could hit any other motorists,” read a press release from DPS.
As the SUV approached 4500 South in the far left lane, Trooper Henson was set up with his patrol car.
“The SUV attempted to swerve around the patrol car. The front of the trooper’s car made contact with the driver’s side of the SUV where it was stopped in the HOV and #1 lane,” the release stated.
DPS officials said the trooper was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries and then released.
The wrong-way driver, however, was treated at the scene before they were arrested and booked into jail for DUI.
“Trooper Henson’s quick actions and bravery no doubt saved lives this morning,” the release stated.
This marks the 29th wrong-way vehicle that UHP troopers have stopped in 2022, according to DPS.
Gov. Spencer Cox wrote in a tweet that he was able to thank the brave trooper for his actions and “was once again reminded how lucky we are to have brave men and women that protect us every day.”
The driver had no injuries and was arrested with a BAC of .14–nearly 3x the state limit. I was able to thank this brave trooper for his actions and was once again reminded how lucky we are to have brave men and women that protect us every day.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) February 21, 2022
Jess Anderson, commissioner of the Utah Department of Public Safety, said, “This is an example of the heroic work that our Utah Highway Patrol troopers do each and every day. Thank you, Trooper Henson, for your willingness to protect the public.”
— Commissioner Jess Anderson (@andersonljess) February 21, 2022
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 13411)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 8537)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 5711)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3015)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2446)
- Police: Man breaks windows of 7 businesses, assaults 3 officers in burglary spree on Antelope Drive (pageviews: 2384)