Witness: ‘They were here to have fun’ child critical after rescue at Utah reservoir
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — A kayaker rescued three children who were inside a vehicle that rolled into the Smith and Morehouse Reservoir Monday.
According to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, a 9-year-old boy was able to get out on his own. A 2-year-old girl was rescued by her grandfather.
A bystander was able to bring the last boy to shore after he had been in the water for more than 10 minutes. At last word, the boy was in critical condition.
According to a witness who says she showed up right when crews were bringing the boy up on a stretcher, everything happened very quickly.
“They were here on vacation unloading their kayaks and paddle boards. They were here to have fun,” Deb, the witness said.
That quickly turned into a life-or-death situation when the third child, a boy couldn’t get out of the truck.
Deb said the gentleman who dove in was on his kayak alongside his own family. He was a former forest service ranger in the area for nearly 25 years.
“If you’re looking down it was on the far side of the ramp. They were parked over there, and it rolled back in. You could see the bubbles coming up, and it was completely submerged. They brought in a diver and a boat to get the vehicle out,” said Deb.
She said the family was on vacation at the campground.
“They were staying here, and they are still here. Some of the family is still here. They were here on vacation unloading their kayaks and paddle boards. They were here to have fun,” Deb said.
Deb said she was told the driver of the truck had the parking brake on as well as the emergency brake.
- Arrest made in Logan Canyon crash that killed 3, injured 2 (pageviews: 20611)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 16514)
- Three dead, two injured in crash that closed US Hwy 89 (pageviews: 11889)
- Lagoon announces further delay of season opening (pageviews: 5833)
- Alta Ski Area passes 800 inches of snow for first time ever (pageviews: 3681)
- Police: Hoax targets several Utah schools with fake shooting threats (pageviews: 3679)