British pound plummets to record low against the dollar
(CNN) — The British pound fell to a new record all-time low against the US dollar of $1.035 on Monday, plummeting more than 4%.
The slide came as trading opened in Asia and Australia on Monday, extending a 2.6% dive from Friday — and spurring predictions the pound could plunge to parity with the US dollar in the coming months.
The unprecedented currency slump follows British Chancellor of the Exchequer Kwasi Kwarteng’s announcement on Friday the United Kingdom would impose the biggest tax cuts in 50 years at the same time as boosting spending.
“We have to unleash the power of the private sector,” Kwarteng said.
The new tax-slashing fiscal measures, which include scrapping plans for rising corporation tax and slashing the cap on bankers’ bonuses, have been criticized as “trickle-down economics” by the opposition Labour party and even lambasted by members of the Chancellor’s own Conservative party.
Former Tory chancellor Lord Ken Clarke criticized the tax cuts on Sunday, saying it could lead to the collapse of the pound.
“I’m afraid that’s the kind of thing that’s usually tried in Latin American countries without success,” Clarke said in an interview with BBC radio.
The pound has been hammered by a string of weak economic data, but also the steep ascent of the US dollar, a safe haven investment that sees inflows in times of uncertainty.
But the economic outlook in the UK means the pound is suffering more than most, in the face of a disastrous energy crunch and the highest inflation among G7 nations.
The previous record low for the British pound against the US dollar was 37 years ago on February 25, 1985, when 1 pound was worth $1.054.
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 34261)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12079)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 11257)
- Greatest snow on Earth: Utah's snowpack hits record high (pageviews: 9265)
- Police: Grantsville man shot himself upon police serving search warrant (pageviews: 6498)
- Body found under overpass at 600 North (pageviews: 6478)
- Utah man creates company devoted to flywheel energy storage (pageviews: 5930)