Canyons School District implementing new school lunch program
SALT LAKE CITY — During the pandemic, Utah students got to eat school meals for free thanks to federal waivers.
The program expired in June, which means families who want either free or reduced lunch need to apply for it.
Those students who aren’t approved will have to start paying for meals.
In the Canyons School District, officials want to make sure your student can make a smooth transition.
Now that the federal waiver program has expired, the district is returning to its standard meal prices.
Breakfast is $1 for elementary students and $1.25 for middle and high school students. Lunches are $2 for elementary students and $2.25 for middle and high school students.
“It is still incredibly affordable. We had no price increase this year,” said Kirsten Stewart, Canyons School District spokesperson.
But the way students pay for meals has changed. Families will handle all payments online.
“It means no more having to bring cash or a check or send your child to school with cash or a check.”
Stewart said they’re doing what they can to shield families from the strain of rising food costs.
“We too are having to find creative ways right to absorb those costs while facing a worker shortage. They could also use 15-20 lunchroom workers,” said Stewart. “We have free on-the-job training and it’s a really good job opportunity for parents who want to have the same work hours as their children who are in school.”
Just one more way to help students access delicious and nutritious food at an affordable price.
District officials encouraged parents to apply for free or reduced lunch – even if they think they might not be eligible. You can get more information at your child’s school.
Parents who need more information about the new online payment process, click here.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 13411)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 8537)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 5711)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3015)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2446)
- Police: Man breaks windows of 7 businesses, assaults 3 officers in burglary spree on Antelope Drive (pageviews: 2384)